4/28/08

Rice & Beans



I mentioned a little while ago I would share my recipe for baby rice and beans. I started Little E out on mashed beans at 8 months and began mixing beans and rice the following month. I felt like feeding him both rice and beans in one sitting to begin with was a little much for his digestive system. I didn't want to suffer alongside him all night if the after effects were negative! I keep a steady supply of rice and bean frozen food cubes in the freezer. I feed him two at a time every few days or so.


I have heard from a friend who is from Puerto Rico that Latinos don't have a problem with gas from beans because they began eating them as babies. I hope this is true for my little Latino boy, too!


For the beans, I take one can of organic light kidney beans or black beans and rinse and drain them in a colander. I puree the entire contents in my food processor, adding a little water so they can puree evenly. The texture is entirely up to you, puree more for a smoother consistency and less for a chunky consistency, which is great for older babies.


Set aside.


For the rice, I measure out 1/2 cup of brown rice and 1 cup of water into a small saucepan. Bring the rice and water to a boil and turn heat to low. Simmer for 1/2 hour or until the rice is done and the water is evaporated. I then puree the rice with water until fairly smooth. I have found that brown rice doesn't really ever get too smooth, but I like the chunkiness. It makes the meal seem kind of hearty to me.


Then, I mix the beans and the rice together. I usually refrigerate enough for 2 days and freeze the rest in food cubes, like this:


Sometimes I need to add a little water before heating to make it a little thinner.


Yum! No salt or spices, but it's still great. I even love the taste!

3 comments:

Kellie said...

Do you think it would work to freeze without pureeing at all?

We are transitioning Preston to all finger foods & finding options for daycare is difficult. I have found that frozen things make a nice transition to day care & less prep work in the morning packing the lunch.

Karin said...

I think you could just as easily freeze whole rice and beans. We are almost to the point where he could eat whole rice and beans, too. The freezer is great because a whole can of beans would go bad in the fridge before being eaten and this way you can save it for whenever. Let me know how it goes! And, if you have any other ideas. We are looking for more finger food options.

BecMama said...

Hi Karin. I just made your beans and rice recipe for Evan and boy was it a HOME RUN. He loved it wanting more and more. Thanks for sharing your Mama journey with us, it totally helps out. Praying for you in your transition! -Becca

 

from scratch baby | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates