1/25/08

Peas, please!


I just made a batch of peas for my little one and I wanted to share how easy they are to make! Here's what I did:

I buy frozen organic petite peas because they are pre-shelled and it's difficult to find fresh peas. I actually don't think I have ever eaten fresh peas!

I steamed them in a about 1/4 cup water in the microwave in a covered dish. It took about 10 minutes for one bag of peas. You will want to make sure they are really soft, because that makes a smoother puree.

After the peas were finished steaming, I drained out the cooking water and reserved it for the puree. You will want to submerge the peas in ice water until cool. This step not only cools the peas down so they can be pureed, but it also helps them retain their vibrant green color.

Once cooled, I pureed the peas thinning them out with the reserved cooking water until smooth. Then, I filled an ice cube tray with the peas, covered with foil and popped them into the freezer. After they freeze I will pop them out and store in the freezer, thawing them as I need them.

So easy! And, once you see how bright green the color of these cooked peas is, compared to the darker color of the jarred peas, you will be a fan.

~Age - An excellent first food, 5 + months

~Yield - 1 bag will yield about 10 servings (1 serving = 2 tablespoons or 1 frozen food cube)

~Nutritionally Speaking - Peas are high in protein, vitamins A & C, and iron
Note: Peas can also be steamed in a steamer basket in a saucepan on the stove. Frozen peas can be refrozen if they have been cooked.
















No comments:

 

from scratch baby | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates